It’s Madiba’s birthday and it is a National, née International known that we give 67 minutes on this day to give back, do something inspiring, be better.
For this Day, and because I have failed to do anything explicityly charitable, I’ve decided to use the gift I have. I am a writer and a blogger, and I will give back in exactly that way. I’m dedicated these 67 minutes to compiling a homage for Tata. 67 Minutes for Madiba in 6 quotes, 7 photos from his most iconic moments AND 6 things people all over SA are doing to commemorate Mandela Day and 7 tweets from adoring countrymen.
6 quotes that make Tata an even bigger inspiration to all
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela
“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” – Nelson Mandela
“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela
“Man’s goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished” – Nelson
“We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” ― Nelson Mandela
7 photos of milestones and majorly iconic moments people were lucky enough to share with Madiba
6 things people all over SA are doing to commemorate Mandela Day
- Cheesekids Mandela Day 2013 – Atteridgeville Community Takeover – On the 20th of July you can join Cheesekids at our Mandela Day community Takeover.
Cheesekids is just a couple of young folk doing what they can to make our world better by putting their most valuable resource – time, and their backs – into various communities that could do with a little hand.
- Gareth Cliff’s Hands Across South Africa – Hands Across South Africa tomorrow at 8.45 for Mandela Day. Make sure you’re listening to 5FM as we join hands across South Africa – join in wherever you are. Take pics and post on this page or Twitter#HandsAcrossSA. Soweto Gospel Choir will be singing a special Happy Birthday to Madiba. I have seen literally so many tweets with this hashtags as friends, families, corporations, schools and tertiary institutions joined together in on streets and parks and office places of work to posted pictures of this nationwide phenomenon on Twitter.
- GreenpopSA together with Mike Baillie of Greenpeace SA and co. planting trees all over The Mother City. were at Siyabulela Primary School this morning with @CapeTalk567 planting a celebratory tree for part of their #67minutes #MandelaDay. They are planting 67 trees I’m Masiphumelele, in the rain too. And also planting 67 trees in Zambia today for Tata Madiba! Greenpop is a social business that believes greening and sustainable living can be fun, POPular and accessible for all. Mike Baillie is an Eco activist, cycle commuter, working at Greenpeace.
- The December Streets are celebrating Madiba’s life today with man’s best friend! They will be at The Tshwane SPCA along with Tuks FM 107.2 to help our dog friends out! The December Streets is a feet stomping, skirt lifting, shoulder popping musical bliss Pretoria based band.
- CharitySA is holding its Help Feed a Child this Mandela Day. People are help to feed child this Mandela day by donating perishable items or making a monetary contribution. All donations will go towards their three homes: St George’s, St Nicolas and St Joseph’s Homes. Making a difference and helping a child take the next step.
- And lastly, let us not forget all the big and little unknown things every person in South Africa is doing today and will continue doing, all inspired by this one old man. People giving clothes and food to children and their mothers, soup kitchens that will be running an extra hour today and stocking extra food, people planting stuff and mostly – everyone being inspired to do better by Madiba on his birthday.
7 tweets from adoring countrymen
And lastly, in the simple words of a Proudly South African toi-toi board…